The Deacons are the hands and feet of the church serving Jesus. We do a lot of little things behind the scenes as well as organizing larger ministries.
Jacksonville Presbyterian Church currently hosts a board of 18 Deacons. Deacons serve a three-year term on a rotating basis where 1/3 of the deacon positions come up for nomination/re-election each year. Deacons are limited to 2 consecutive terms on the board, this allows for fresh ideas and helps prevent burnout from happening.
The Board of Deacons currently has 4 leadership positions that are voted in by its members annually. Those positions are: Moderator, Assistant Moderator, Recording Clerk, and Treasurer.
The Deacons serve the body of Christ in 3 main ways:
- Taking care of personal/physical needs of individuals within our church body.
- Facilitating opportunities for ministry by the body.
- Fulfilling tasks as assigned by the Session.
Examples of how Deacons serve in these 3 ways (Not an exhaustive list):
Taking care of personal/physical needs of individuals within our church body
- Meals Ministry: Provide meals for families/individuals experiencing tragedy or birth/pregnancy.
- Memorials: Coordinate hospitality at memorial services held at the church. Refreshments, set-up, decorating and serving at reception.
- Gifts from Home: Organize and ship gift packages to our college students/military personnel
- Correspondence: Send out birthday, anniversary, sympathy, get well, and thank-you cards to the congregation.
- Visitation: Visit and pray with those who are in need.
- Benevolence Fund: Provide financial assistance to those in need.
If you have a Request for meals, visitation, or financial assistance please contact the deacons via our contact us page.
Facilitating opportunities for ministry by the body
- Christmas Baskets: Organize food/gifts to be delivered by the body to needy families in the community who are in need of Christ.
- Fellowship Tables: Organize beverages and snacks for the worship services
Fulfilling tasks as assigned by the Session
- Communion: Responsible for providing the elements, set-up/clean-up of trays and cups.
- Decorations: Holidays, Liturgical Cross Colors.
- Multi-Purpose Room Care: Organize and stock seat backs with supplies, fill and care for Candles.
- New Member’s Class Representative: Share with new members what the deacons are responsible for as well as opportunities to get involved.