|The following are various fun and interesting facts about the First Presbyterian Church of Jacksonville, Oregon.|
|November 22, 1857||Reverend Moses Williams organizes the First Presbyterian Church of Jackson County.|
|February 1879||In the effort to build a church in Jacksonville, Oregon; land lots on California Street were purchased.|
|September 1879||Foundation excavation begins, but was delayed due to winter weather.|
|April 2, 1880||Foundation laid by George W. Holt for the First Presbyterian Church of Jacksonville, Oregon along California Street.|
|Fund Raising||Most of the funds raised for the construction of the church were proceeds from various Strawberry Festivals. June 1880, Mrs. Jane McCully encourage the pupils of her private school to give a benefit to raise funds; Madame Holt, owner of the United States Hotel, orchestrated a strawberry festival giving the proceeds to the new church building fund.|
|Cost Estimate||$4,000 / Contact awarded to David Linn ($2,400) for the basic construction of the church, frame on the edifice, roof, belfry, basement with lecture room and paint. The final cost was closure to $6,000 due to the additional expense of the stained glass windows.|
|July 2, 1880||[Cupola] set in place and steeple raised. Steeple ornaments made by A. H. Maegly of Kubli's Hardware.|
|Donations - Bell||
Mr. C. C. Beekman (banker); travels to San Francisco (Sept. 3, 1880) to purchase bell.
One thousand pound bell chosen with a deeper than normal tone, so that it could be heard eight miles on a clear day.
|Fact - Walls||Native Sugar Pine was used for the walls.|
|Fact - Stain Glass Windows||Stained glass windows were purchased from Italy, traveling around Cape Horn and arriving November 12, 1880.|
|May 1881||Building plastered after work was delayed due to weather of the winter of 1880.|
|July 1881||White picket fence built and installed around the church.|
|September 1881||Building painted (inside and out) by J. L. Cater and Son.|
|Fact - Heating System||Best heating equipment of the day installed by Mr. Lauterman of Kubli's Hardware.|
|December 4, 1881||Church Dedication Day - 1st Sabbath of December. Reverend W. Hill (Salem, OR) assisted Father Moses Williams.|
|Fact - Organ||
Made by J. Estey & Company of Brattleboro, Vermont - Bears patent date of 1857. Mrs. Carrie Beekman played for the December 1881 Dedication Ceremonies. It is believed that Mr. Beekman purchased this organ and donated it to the church.
Reverend Moses Allen Williams
Establishes the FIRST Presbyterian Church
in Southern Oregon in Jacksonville, Oregon.
Establishes TENTH Presbyterian Church in Oregon.